October 11, 2000
IJC Establishes the International St. Croix River Board
On September 26, 2000, the International Joint Commission formally combined its
existing International St. Croix River Board of Control and its International
Advisory Board on Pollution Control - St. Croix River and established the
International St. Croix River Board.
The Commission merged its two St. Croix Boards for two main reasons. First, the
Commission has adopted an ecosystem approach under which water quantity and water
quality are addressed together as part of the full range of water related issues.
Second, the two boards have been working closely together in the past few years.
Both boards recently cooperated in an assessment of the need to modify the
Commission's St. Croix Orders of Approval, in response to concerns raised by
stakeholders, and the two boards regularly hold joint annual public meetings.
The International St. Croix River Board of Control was established in 1915 and
monitored compliance with the requirements of the Orders of Approval issued by the
Commission for the dams on the St. Croix River at Forest City, Vanceboro, Grand
Falls and Milltown. The International Advisory Board on Pollution Control - St.
Croix River reported on the water quality of the river and on pollution abatement
efforts of industries and municipalities along the river since 1962.
Following the circulation of the draft directive in the basin and the conduct of
a public hearing in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, the Commission approved a directive
for the new International St. Croix River Board and appointed members of the two
former Boards to the new Board. The directive can be seen by visiting the IJC's
web site at www.ijc.org. Comments and questions
should be directed to the addresses below:
The International Joint Commission was created under the Boundary Waters Treaty
of 1909 to help prevent and resolve disputes over the use of waters along the
Canada-United States boundary.